Friday, April 29, 2011

Blog Post 14: These are a Few of my Favorite Things

Object: Granny's Mesh Bag


 I have been collecting antique Whiting and Davis purses for a long time, and they are a part of who I am. I love to think about the history behind the objects I know have, and wonder about the person who had it before. I love each of these bags, but one in particular is treasured above the rest. My great-grandmother was born in 1903, and experienced the time period from when these purses came from. For a birthday a couple years ago she gave me her own beautiful mesh bag. She died earlier this year, and I love that I can hold on to a part of her that I can actually appreciate and relate to.  


space: the sunken gardens in victoria, british columbia


The most mesmerizing place I've ever been is this garden, placed deep into a lime stone query. It was like magic, like all things beautiful in the world had decided to meet in this secret oasis of color and life. I could probably happily spend the rest of my life in this space without ever growing tired of it.


space number two: Glen Echo



I was torn between the sunken gardens and glen echo, so I decided to include both. I come here to swing or contra dance, and it is such an amazing experience. The dancing takes place in the old Spanish ballroom with is a wonderfully open area, and the atmosphere is just what I would imagine it to be in the 50's. 

Building: Le Corbusier's Notre-Dame-du-Haut


I really tried to choose a different building than this one. I haven't been here before and Patrick used it as one of his top buildings. I knew I shouldn't pick it... but I couldn't help myself. I love it's free form, construction secrets, and light effects. It is so different than Le Corbusier's earlier works and like a breath of fresh air. 
It has a sense of divinity. I can just imagine being caught in these light shafts an experiencing a religious revival. He really understood the space and imitated it with the form of the building. 




Place: Chincoteague Island




Chincoteague Island holds a lot of good memories for me. I went there with a bunch of friends in middle school and had such a fun time. Then I went back with my good friend Olivia May and her family and had an equally adventurous time on the island. And, as if I wasn't certain that this was a place that I enjoyed, I went a third time with my family. Each occasion was so different, but so enjoyable. From crabbing to thrift store shopping, this Island has it all. Plus, it's right next to Assateague Island where all the pretty wild ponies live. Below is a picture of the single theater, the Island Roxy. It is the most adorable town.


No comments:

Post a Comment