Monday, December 6, 2010

Playing with Light




This is my most successful sketch model for our luminare assignment. The use of glass and wood continued to evolve towards my final project, but hemp aspect didn't make it.


This is the luminare I made. My inspiration came from a photograph of sunlight reflected off water. I wanted to capture certain aspects of the light effect like the blue tones enhanced by the sunlight, the inconsistency of the waves, and the bright sunshine that sparkled off the water. To do this I spent long hours on the internet to teach myself how to break the glass at curves, foil the glass, and solder it into a structure. The curved glass is an interpretation of the waves, the brighter light that comes through the cracks imitates the light reflected. The project is constructed from assorted tainted and textured glass, fitted into a grooved wooden base. I used a daylight bulb for a harsh, sunny effect.  I'm in love with the fairy-like light effect that plays on the wall, so I would say I've succeeded. Take a look and tell me what you think! 










No comments:

Post a Comment