Monday, February 28, 2011

The Architecture of Happiness

"Belief in the significance of architecture is premised on the notion that we are, for better or for worse, different people in different places-- and on the conviction that it is architecture's task to render vivid to us who we might ideally be."
Alain de Botton


I find that Botton is right in claiming that we tend to act somewhat different depending on our surroundings. Maybe it is in those places where we feel most secure in our identity that we are most content. I thought about the places where I have happy memories and wondered whether I was simply having a good day, or whether I was sharing the spirituality the room provided. There are definitely places I have been to that have made my heart skip a beat and then rise into the sky in a happy rush of emotion, like the descent into the Sunken Gardens of Victoria, Canada. However, there are other, more subtle, cheery places that are like that love song melody that you find yourself singing in your head. I think of my Nana's house or the Glen Echo Spanish ballroom and those warm summer memories. All of these places have some connection to me and help shape my identity and feeling of completeness. 
And while it is true that well-made architecture has the ability share its sunny disposition with us,"beautiful architecture has none of the unambiguous advantages of a vaccine or a bowl of rice..." and cannot be counted on as a guarantee of a good mood. I know I have been in the same kitchen I spent hours cheerfully baking cookies, all in a funk. But we should "be kind enough not to blame the buildings for our own failure to honor  the advice they can only ever subtly proffer."
There are those "...islands of perfection, in which we can find an echo of an ideal which we once hoped to lay a permanent claim to." That person inside of us that we know and always wand to be. These glimpses of pure happiness are elevated by the space that holds us there. In acknowledging that, "it means conceding that we are inconveniently vulnerable to the color of our wallpaper and that our sense of purpose may be derailed by an unfortunate bedspread."
Here on campus, there are those places I find myself unintentionally wandering towards, in hope that it will push my day in a positive direction. 
My favorite space is in Tate Street Coffee (which feels close enough to be part of the campus) because of the close intimate feel. I love the way they greet me by name and treat me as part of their community. The art helps me feel motivated to think and find creativity within myself (although the caffeine might also be assisting that.) The tables are close together and the atmosphere is soft and friendly. Live music starts the day fresh on Sunday mornings and brings a lively Thursday evening. 
Another favorite space (in case Tate Street Coffee doesn't count as part of campus) is the Witherspoon Art Museum. I'm from Washington D.C. and have always had the opportunity to explore the beautiful art in the museums there, but the Witherspoon seems a lot more personal than the big D.C. museums do. I have loved wondering through the galleries when I have time and watching events in the lobby of the museum downstairs. I like the open and clean feel it has, coupled with the emotions provided by the art. I especially like the outdoors, sculpture section of the museum. It reminds me of the garden from the Rapunzel fairy tale.
lorem 3


On beautiful days I take the longer way to the studio just so I can meander past the magnolia tree with its secretly, sheltered tire swing and climbable limbs; and gaze down at the history, inscribed in the bricks under my feet. It makes me feel connected to the past and enjoy the life of the present. I love the small willow tree across the way, and always promise myself some good quality time under on the way back. It is by far my favorite place here on campus.
 
I love these places that make me smile :)


The quotes are all from The Architecture of Happiness, a reading I found to be quite delightful.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked the reading, that one was one of my favorites. Interesting glimpse at your favorite spaces, keep including your own personal inferences in your blog posts, this one is very colorful.

    ReplyDelete