Friday, February 18, 2011

Dining Space Parti

This design is for the bringing together of different cultures and peoples to enjoy a meal together.

Eating customs and food are a big part of culture. Some cultures use more spices, others keep it simple; some prefer to sit  low to the ground on pillows, while others would rather sit in chairs. I want the guests to enjoy the cultural experience of food in its entirety, so I think I'm going to include a kitchen in my design where they can each prepare a customary meal together before sharing it in a more formal setting.


I wanted my setting to have the seclude and peaceful feel of a writers
retreat, so my   dinner will take place in the forests of Sweden. I want
this day to feel like an escape from real life and be a day held separate
from the rest of the year. The light is a very important part of the day
(since it takes place on the summer solstice) so I want to incorporate
that into my design by allowing them to enjoy the sunset together
through a large, west-facing window. 

I thought a lot about the elements of  life that we all have in common. Nature, fire and water are things that we all rely on as people on this planet. We trade and share resources provided by the planet, and I think it would be an appropriate time to be submerged in the beauty of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment