Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Blog Assignment 001- iob



I didn't actually get to enter the industries of the blind. My alarm clock is my cell phone, and my cell phone was in my friend's car [Shirley Bircher] and therefore, did not wake me up in time to go to class. In an effort to catch up with the class, I tried to take my own trip through the building. However, the building was closed, and not having a phone to contact my ride there to take me back, I was forced to spend some quality time with the parking lot. 
SO I sat outside the building on a picnic table across the parking lot and tried to imagine what could possibly lie inside. I admired the light coming through the tree I perched beneath, and tried to imagine a world without. I looked across to the industries of the blind building and got nothing from it. The building seemed impenetrable, solid, and unwelcoming. From where I sat, the building was as mysterious as it had ever been. I thought, perhaps, it was that I had not taken the time to pause and ponder this building before that I knew so little about it. However, in my experience sitting there and focusing my thoughts towards this closed exterior, I determined that the fault was not mine for knowing so little, but theirs for shutting me out. I could not for a moment imagine what the interior would hold. To me it looked like a prison, but meant to keep people out, not restrain them from escape. 
Later, I looked at the pictures taken by my classmates. I was completely surprised at what I saw. It was nothing like how I imagined it to be. Through my classmates extensive photo record of the building, I took my own disjointed tour through the space. I saw the funny, under-stairwell garden, the bland meeting room, and factory areas of the building. While they did not meet my expectations for the building, both the interior and exterior had a cold and closed feeling to them. Both seemed to lack a sense  of welcoming to the visitor or to the users of the space. I thought the effort to create a sanctuary of sorts (the stairwell garden) was very sweet, and made me feel kindly towards the workers there. I heard of how wonderful the trip there was and how much I had missed out by not attending. Judging by how many of my class mates hoped to secure a spot on the iob team, I think this project holds many opportunities. How often does one get to design a space for those who can only witness it through their other senses? Putting our primary sense as designers on the bench, and trying to get a feel for the space and how both the users and visitors of the space will find a pleasant experience in it. I hope our class is able to improve on what they have, and open the space up to the community. Hopefully the designs my classmates come up with will be one to stimulate multiple senses and connect people through that experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment